Announcing the Establishment of “Remember Kobe and Higashi-Nihon”
A month has passed since March 11th , when Japan was struck by the triple disaster of the Great East Japan Earthquake, the subsequent tsunami, and the continuing nuclear power plant emergency.
Sixteen years ago, when the Great Hanshin Earthquake of January 17th 1995 hit Kobe and Awaji, an action group called “Support Kobe” was formed. The group was renamed “Remember Kobe” and eventually dissolved, but following the Great East Japan Earthquake we received inquiries and expressions of interest to participate in support activities from many people all over the world who remembered the group.
On March 13th, two days after the Great East Japan quake, in response to calls for help from friends in the stricken area, I sent supplies by road. On March 19th I was able to visit and observe parts of the stricken area.
In the name of “Remember Kobe”, I collected opinions and suggestions on how best to coordinate our activities from many of the people on the ground who worked so hard following the Great Hanshin Earthquake, including top management from public health offices in Kobe’s Higashi Nada Ward. The result is that “Remember Kobe and Higashi-Nihon” will provide extended support activities which can be delivered over the long term during the recovery phase, rather than quick tactical responses in the emergency phase or immediate aftermath.
The activities are as follows:
· Name: “Remember Kobe and Higashi-Nihon”
Chair, Ryoko Dozono; Vice-Chair, Ryo Ochiai;
Advisor, Ryoko Akamatsu
· Support Activities:
1. Support activities are long-term, with a focus on detail and richness of content, concentrated in specific locations or facilities where there is a relevant connection, under the key themes of “face to face”, “direct to direct”, and “enlightenment and training of the younger generation”
2. Requests for support from locations or facilities which may have no direct connection are at the discretion of the Chair, Vice-Chair, and Advisor
3. Similar to “Support Kobe”, financial support will be extended to volunteer groups who are serving in the stricken area
· Description of Support: “Remember Kobe and Higashi-Nihon” will serve as a portal to direct support from generous donors to the needy, in both tangible and intangible forms including donations of funds, materials, humanitarian services, or intellectual content
· Period of Support: Activities commenced on April 11, 2011 and will be provided over a span of at least three to five years
· Bank details: Mitsubishi Tokyo UFJ Bank, Hiroo Branch, Ordinary account 0221411
Account name: “Remember Kobe and Higashi-Nihon”
We will publish activity reports ad hoc on the blog (
http://remember0411.blog90.fc2.com/). If you would like to receive the reports in hard copy please contact “Remember Kobe and Higashi-Nihon”.
Ryoko Dozono, M.D.
International Medical Crossing Office
5-12-14-201 Minami-Azabu, Minato-ku, Tokyo Japan 106-0047